Sometimes we underestimate how much of an impact the smallest of gestures (or actions) can have on someone. Like the waiter who refills your glass without you having to ask for a refill. The person who holds the elevator open for you as you run to catch it. The follow up email you get one week after your purchase just to ask how things are going. Or the random handwritten notecard you get from someone you met a conference just to say “hi” and “thanks” for the pleasant conversation.
How To Stand Out
This isn’t a long list. But taking the time and making the effort to live up to each one will make a huge impact in your personal and professional life.
- Care more (about people and about doing your best work because anything less than your best isn’t good enough).
- Be helpful (especially when people least expect it).
- Go out of your way to do more of #2.
- Show up and do the work.
- Always give #4 100% effort.
- Apologize when you mess up but don’t make excuses (and remember #5).
- Take pride in your work (people will notice).
Photo Credit: OiMax