Sometimes I think site security is one of those things people don’t think too much about until their site gets hacked. And if you’ve ever been hacked, you know it’s no joy ride.
So today, I’d thought I’d share a few WordPress Security and Backup plugins to make your site more secure and prevent malicious attacks while backing up your database in case you ever need to restore your site.
Feel free to add any that you like and/or recommend in the comments…
- Exploit Scanner – this WordPress plugin will search the files and database of your WordPress install and look for signs that may indicate that it has fallen victim to a malicious attack. It will search the files of your website including the posts and comments tables of your database for anything suspicious. Though it doesn’t remove any malicious files for you, it does alert you of the threat.
- WordPress File Monitor – this plugin will monitor the files under your WordPress installation for changes. When a change does occur, you will be notified via email.
- Login LockDown – this plugin limits the number of login attempts from a given IP range within a certain time period to prevent users from brute force password discovery.
- AskApache Password Protect – this plugin adds additional password protection and security to your site.
- BulletProof Security – this plugin is designed as a one-click security plugin to add .htaccess website security protection to your WordPress blog.
- Secure WordPress – this plugin improves the security of your WordPress installation by removing error information on login pages, adds index.html to plugin directories, hides the WordPress version and more.
- Free Scanning Tool (powered by Sucuri Security) – just enter your URL and Sucuri SiteCheck scanner will check your site for malware, blacklisting status and out-of-date software.
What other WordPress Security plugins do you recommend?
- wp Time Machine – this plugin creates an archive of all of your WordPress Data and files and then stores them on Dropbox, Amazon s3 or your FTP host.
- WP DB Backup – this plugin allows you to easily backup your core WordPress database tables. You can schedule automatic updates to be delivered hourly, daily or weekly.
- Backup Buddy – this is a premium plugin but is perfect for backing up your entire WordPress install, including widgets, themes and plugins. You can backup to your server, or send a back up to your email. This is perfect if you’re restoring your site on the same server or migrating to a new server with a different domain and database.
What other Backup plugins do you recommend?
Free WordPress End-User Security Webinar this Friday:
This Friday, July 15, 2011, join Site Security Expert Dre Armeda (@dremeda) as we discuss:
- How to choose a host provider (cheap doesn’t always mean best),
- Effective password management,
- Quick tips for performing successful (error free) WordPress updates,
- How to manage your plugins against security risks,
…and more. To reserve your seat, simply register here (free): https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/288934982
We currently have 100 seats available and they will fill up fast!
Like this post? Subscribe to the RSS feed here.