National UnFriend Day is the day in which we go through our social networks such as:
…and clean house of all the people who are not really your friends.
Now personally, I know that I follow too many people on Facebook that I’m not really friends with. So I haven’t had a really good experience there. Some people use Facebook for networking. Me? I’m not really sure what I use it for. I haven’t really thought about it all that much. I use Twitter to connect (offer resources, connect with friends, answer questions, etc.). Facebook for me is just sorta there and that’s about it. Now LinkedIn on the other hand, that’s my network. It’s my online rolodex of sorts and I use it all the time. As for MySpace, well, let’s just leave that alone.
So here’s what I’m going to do. I think I’m going to participate in National UnFriend Day and UnFriend people on my Facebook account. It’s nothing personal. It’s just that if we haven’t really connected, there’s no point to us being “Friends”, don’t you think? Maybe then I’ll have a better Facebook experience with the people that really are my friends and that I connect with on a daily and personal basis.
The National UnFriend Day site also offers some guidelines as to who you can consider UnFriending…
- If you never met them and most likely will never meet them and have no family or business interest to you then they should be UNFRIENDED
- If they are a friend from the past that you never really liked and don’t even really have any mutual friends that you speak to then UNFRIEND THEM
- If they try to get you to play stupid games that you never have any interest in playing, UNFRIEND THEM
- If they are a bartender or work in a club and always send you invites that you have no interest in ever going to UNFRIEND THEM
- If they are an ex, UNFRIEND THEM
- If they have ever started drama for you , UNFRIEND THEM
- They always try to talk to you when you are online and you really have no interest in them, UNFRIEND THEM
- You would never talk to them in real life, UNFRIEND THEM
- They won’t shutup of how much in love they are, UNFRIEND THEM
- If they are always depressed and filled with DRAMA, UNFRIEND THEM
- Anyone who when they call and you don’t respond to right away, UNFRIEND THEM
So, how will you participate? Do you think doing something like this might help your experience in engaging with others on your various social networks?
PHOTO CREDIT: National UnFriend Day