Blogging isn’t always a “build it and they will come” sorta thing. You have to work hard to promote your own posts if you want them to get read. And therein lies today’s task…
Promote A Blog Post
I’ve shared several tips on how to promote your blog posts before. Here’s a few of them…
- Link to it in your email signature. Every email is an opportunity to market your blog to someone new. Period.
- Comment on other blogs. When your blog is new, this is one of the quickest ways to get noticed and bring new readers to your site. Take some time to comment on at least 5-10 blogs per day (or as often as they post new content).
- Enable the right (social) sharing options. Outspoken Media has a great post on this. Basically, if you want people to share your blog via their networks (Twitter, Facebook, etc.), make it easy for them to do so. GetSocial and Sharebar are two great social sharing plugins. Can you think of any others?
- Promote your url everywhere. Link to it in your Twitter profile, your Facebook profile, you LinkedIn profile and any other social network that allows you to upload a link to your blog. You never know when someone’s gonna leave a comment and say: “Hey, I found you through [insert social network name here].” P.S. Don’t forget to put your url on your business cards too.
- Participate in a live twitter chat like #blogchat. It’s a great way to connect with new people, build relationships and find and share new content. Don’t hi-jack the chat with a bunch of self-promotional tweets (that’s a quick sure-fire way to get hated by the community). Danny Brown calls this being a “Twat Pirate” (it’s a great post). Focus on being helpful first. Share other people’s connect and then people will connect with your own.
You should pick at least 2-4 promotion tips and execute on promoting your post that way. Especially for a new blog, you need to get some traction by promoting your own content and reaching out to others to help you promote it as well.
Today’s Action Step:
Today’s action step is to spend some time promoting your post and help promote someone else’s. If you didn’t write a list post yesterday, pick another post from your blog.
Here’s a list of some of list posts that others have written…
There you have it. Get to work and get sharing!